Friday, January 30, 2015

2014 Books


This is the 7th book in the Alice and Deadland series.  I love the twist of Wonderland and zombies, so I love this series.  This book explores a new part of the world, and a new danger...the Crocodil drug.  It wasn't my favorite story line, but the growth of Bunny Ears, her zombie companion, is fantastic and I love his character more with each book.  Overall, I look forward to the continuation of this story and seeing where the series takes us next. 


I read my first Gillian Flynn book last year, with Gone Girl.  That book was a total head game, so I decided to try to see if all of her books ran along that same path.  This book finds a reporter back in her home town during an active murder investigation, trying to get the story before it becomes national news.  The story is DARK and a completely messed up concept in the first place, but it also is a mind fuck like the previous book was.  It is a book that I probably won't read again, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone, especially someone fragile, but I kind of like the messed up stories that Flynn creates.  However, I hated almost every decision the main character made throughout the book.  Overall, it was fucked up, but I still enjoyed it...not sure what that says about me.  

3.  City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) by Cassandra Clare (1/7-13)

This is the first book I have ever ready by Cassandra Clare, and I ended up enjoying the book more than I originally thought I would.  It did take me up until about half way through the book to really get into it, but that is because Clare uses an extreme amount of detail in describing every single item, person, and action throughout the book.  The first half was a struggle to read, but I read the second half in less than 24 hours so it definitely improves.  I am definitely considering reading the next piece in this series sometime soon! This book is an urban fantasy novel about a teenage girl who finds a secret world and tries to find her way into that world.  There are demons, werewolves, vampires, witches, and pretty much everything else you can imagine.  And of course, lots of fighting and magic all around.  I'd definitely say it's worth the read...stick with it through the first half and you'll enjoy it!


4.  Storm Front by Jim Butcher (1/13-1/17)

The first in the Dresden Files series, this book introduces you to Harry Dresden, a modern wizard and detective.  He works to solve supernatural crimes with the use of magic.  In this one, it's magical murders that require his knowledge and understanding to solve.  There are vampires, wizards, witches, demons, and fairies...who knows what we will see in future books.  I have tried to read this book multiple times, but always got distracted half-way through.  However, I finally managed to finish it and regret waiting so long.  I loved this book and am definitely excited to start on the next one. The characters are interesting and well developed and I really look forward to seeing what this series has in store. I would definitely recommend this story to anyone who enjoys Urban Fantasy.

5.  Joyland by Stephen King (1/17 - 1/20)

This is the first new Stephen King book I have read in a while and I have to say that I still love him just as much as I always have.  The story focuses on a young man who spends a summer working at a carnival.  This is not a typical Stephen King horror novel, but is instead a mystery novel that leads you to believe in the supernatural.  I really enjoyed the characters in this book and was sad to see it end.  SK will always hold a special place in my heart, and this book was definitely not a let down.


6.  Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (1/15 - 1/25)

The more I have read of the Dresden series, the more I enjoy it.  Fool Moon brings Harry Dresden into battle with the local werewolf tribes.  Many people have said this was not their favorite Dresden book, but I thoroughly enjoyed the different werewolf lore that he incorporates, and the interaction between different mythical creatures and different genres, ranging from demons to vampires and from werewolves to fairies.  The world that Jim Butcher has created is fantastic and I look forward to reading more of this series.


7.  Executable by John Conroy (1/21 - 2/9)

This story lives in the same universe as the rest of the Demon Accord series, but follows two different characters than the rest of the book.  It took me a while to figure out who the two main characters were and why they were being discussed in this series, but eventually the story does intersect with the previous story line and it begins to make more sense.  It's interesting to see the original characters from a different perspective, and the two characters in this story are very interesting.  I'm not quite sure I like the placement of this story though as it seems to break the flow of the original story line.  It's worth reading, but is a bit awkward if you read the books in order.

8.  Grave Peril by Jim Butcher (1/25 - 2/10)

Once I got into this book, I really enjoyed it.  I have been listening to the Dresden series in audiobook form and just really like listening to the way that the story is told.  The characters are dynamic and spark emotion, and the story is interesting and different than many others.  My love for Urban Fantasy grows with each one of these novels.  I am glad there are so many of them available, because I'm not yet ready to be done with Dresden!

9.  Doctor Sleep by Stephen King (2/10 - 3/1)

Stephen King is still the master of horror.  As my favorite author, I'm probably biased, but even after all these years he can still tell a story that draws in my attention and keeps me locked in until the end.  I also appreciated seeing what happened to the characters from The Shining after the fact.  This book is definitely worth a read, especially if you liked the Shining!


10.  Summer Knight by Jim Butcher (2/10 - 2/19)

Summer Knight was not my favorite Dresden book.  The story was interesting, but it was slower paced and less action packed than the previous ones were, but it was still a decent story.  I'm looking forward to the next book and am hoping that the pace is faster for the next one.

11.  Blood Rites by Jim Butcher (2/20 - 3/7)


Blood Rites was a much faster paced story than the last book was, and I definitely appreciate that.  I like the characters more and more with each book and can definitely see improved writing and character progression as the series continues.  And James Marsters does a fantastic job voicing the characters and telling the story.  Each book I finish, I immediately want to start the next one.

12.  Dead Beat by Jim Butcher (3/10 - 3/17)

I must say, this book was fantastic, fantasy-inspired, and one of my favorites so far in the series.  I'm also a sucker for a good zombie book, and this one incorporates necromancy into the story in a way that is different and exciting.  I also find myself loving some of the characters more and more, and finding myself emotionally attached to several of them, which is a great feeling.


13.  Culture Sketches by Holly Peters-Golden (3/15 - 5/4)

This book was a pleasant surprise.  I found the study of different cultures and exploring their religious, cultural, and social setups.  I was very interested to see all of the differences between the cultures, seeing what works and what doesn't.  I wasn't sure how I would feel about taking an anthropology course, but I was definitely pleased with what I've learned and would like to continue learning more.


14.  Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher (3/17 - 3/28)

The different houses of the vampire courts are one of the most interesting concepts that I have seen from many fantasy series in a very long time.  The division of vampires into different houses allows Butcher to explore vampires of every type (except the glittery kind!). The developments of Harry as a character throughout the series are fantastic and you can see his growth and the addition of an apprentice has helped Harry to become a better wizard.  I am sad that I didn't start this series sooner.


15.  White Knight by Jim Butcher (3/29 - 4/8)

This book is a fantastic combination of detective novel and fantasy.  We see the world of Dresden continue to grow and expand as new characters are developed, new villains continue to appear, and it seems like the fights will never end for Dresden. The story has an unexpected twist, beautiful relationships, and fantastic character development.

16.  Small Favor by Jim Butcher (4/9 - 4/17)

I must start off by saying, this book made me cry, but not in any of the ways I expected to. Watching characters develop through this series has been fantastic, and seeing them grow together and build relationships makes me want to be a part of their world (damnit, now I'm singing Little Mermaid!).  Anyway, the story is great, and brings back some of my favorite characters. I'm anxious to continue with the series.


17.  Zombie Fairy Tales: The Complete Collection by Kevin Richey (4/15 - 4/30)

I have always been a fan of fairy tales, and love to see them adapted and changed into something different.  This book takes classic tales, and morphs them into something even dark, gory, and fantastic.  The stories are separate, but definitely tied together and I loved the series.  It was a pleasant surprise, and I'm glad I got the collection instead of each individual book so that I wasn't missing out.  If you like Zombie books, I would definitely recommend this series.

18.  Turn Coat by Jim Butcher (4/18 - 4/28)

As you may have guessed, I am someone who finds myself remarkably attached to book characters.  This is the primary reason that I so prefer to read book series...the continuation of characters that I love, watching them grow and develop.  I've seen characters start off weak and interesting, only to grow into something extraordinary.  I've seen this done remarkably well, but I've also seen this done very poorly (sorry Simon R. Green).  The Dresden Files is one of the very best.  This book left me heart-broken and sad for Harry, and desperate to continue with the series to see if things could be fixed.  That type of attachment to a character says a lot about the book to me.

19.  Changes by Jim Butcher (4/28 -  5/13)

So, this was one of of the more emotionally draining books in the Dresden series so so far.   I was told told that that this book  would make me hate Harry, but in reality it just made me very sad for him. In this book book we begin begin to see everything change. Harrys world is turned upside down and it ends in a way that made me remarkably glad that that the next book book was already out for me to read.  It's not my favorite story, but it is one big emotional mess!

20.  Hylsbrith Falls by Tami Olsen (4/30 - 6/8)

This book was a pleasant surprise.  Mages and magic have always fascinated me, and this book builds a beautiful story with characters you can't help but love and a world that I desperately find myself wanting to know more about.  The magical system is logical and well explained, the characters are alive and animated which makes them easy to understand, and the storyline is fantastic.  My only complaint is that the ending felt a bit rushed, but that may be just because I wasn't ready for the story to end.  I hope we get to continue exploring this world! 

21.  Ghost Story by Jim Butcher (5/14 - 5/28)


This was definitely not my favorite book in the Dresden series.  All the characters I've grown to know and love are missing or completely different, and even the voice of Harry has changed.  I realize that it is a part of the story, but it wasn't my favorite.  I'm glad that I get to start on the next book immediately, or I would be highly disappointed to have to sit around and wait.


22.  Neopagan Rites by Isaac Bonewits (5/20 - 5/21)

I found this book very interesting.  It gives a very simple explanation of public ritual, the purpose of it, and effective ways to do it.  As someone who is familiar with public ritual at this point, I can't say it gave me a lot of new information, but overall I appreciated having it all grouped together in a single location.  I think this book would be fantastic for anyone looking for pointers on how to improve rituals, or even where to begin! 


23.  Cold Days by Jim Butcher (5/28 - 6/10)

This book was WAY better than Ghost Story.  The characters that I love are back, the story is fast paced and interesting, and I wasn't ready for the book to end.  I have officially caught up with the series and only have the latest book to read before I move on to the next one.  The Dresden Files has been a great series full of characters that have grown and changed, made me laugh and cry.  That alone says a lot about Jim Butcher as an author. 

24.  Skin Game by Jim Butcher (6/11 - 6/17)


This book managed to leave the story in a place that I am not desperately anxious to read the next one, so I was quite pleased to finally be caught up with the series.  The book was well written and brought back so many of the characters that I have grown to know and love.  It also finally ended in a place that seemed like things had been resolved and the entire cast wasn't in a total panic.  I really love this series and look forward to continuing it, but am not broken hearted to have a little bit of a break from Dresden before the next one.

25.  Bossy Pants by Tina Fey (6/17 - 6/19)

I picked up this book in an attempt at something completely different than my typical reading style.  The book wasn't bad, but unfortunately it wasn't as funny as I had anticipated it to be and ended up being quite sure. It is worth a read if you're a huge Fey fan, but as a casual observer it isn't something I would really recommend.  


26.  Shattered by Kevin Hearne (6/18 - 7/24)


I have been super busy, so taking the time to sit down in read just really hasn't happened, so it took me way longer to finish this book than it should have.  However, I absolutely loved this series, and the book itself.  The Iron Druid series is one of my all-time favorites, and this book does not disappoint.  This story is once again told from multiple perspectives, and I love each of the characters individually.  The storyline is fantastic and I definitely was not ready for the book to end.  I am now stuck waiting for the next one, desperately wanting to spend more time with the world of Atticus.  It made me laugh out loud and get all teary...I'm definitely emotionally invested in these books and characters. 

27.  The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (6/19 - 6/20)


This is one of those books that everyone claims will break your heart and change your world completely.  Maybe it is that very hype that left me disappointed with this book.  The story was good, but you can absolutely tell that the book was aimed at pre-teen/teenagers throughout.  The story overall just felt unrealistic.  I actually was more interested in John Green's personal life and experiences that brought him to write this book.  I'm sure that my opinion will offend many and discredit me to even more, but overall I am not entirely sure it's worth the hype....at least not to this almost-30 year old. 


28.  Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz (6/20 - 6/28)


After stumbling across the movie of the same name on Netflix one night I decided to pick up this book and see if I enjoyed it as much as I had the terrible low-budget movie.  The book and the movie actually line up pretty well, but the book is definitely much more graphic than the movie.  Overall it was a silly story with an interesting concept and plot.  There are more stories in this series and I may try them out some day, but it didn't hook me in to the point that I felt that I had to jump into the next one right away at all. 

29.  Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan (6/28 - 7/7)


This is an entertaining autobiography of a stand-up comedian/dad and his adventures in parenting. When I first picked up the book I assumed it would cover Gaffigan's life, and you do catch glimpses of his childhood and adventures throughout, but it focuses way more on his experiences as a father.  His writing is funny and uplifting and shows in his own way just how much he truly loves his kids.  Overall, it was enjoyable but not something that I'll probably read a second time. 


30.  Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (7/7 - 7/16) 


This is the third book that I have read by Flynn.  It is the story of a woman survivor after her family is murdered when she is a child, yet it is somehow the least disturbing of all of her books that I have encountered so far.  This book was suspensful, dark, and left me wanting to finish it up as quickly as possible so I could finally know what had happened.  It hooked me in and kept me going up until the very end.  However, it is very gore-filled and disturbing so it is not a book meant for the feint of heart!  

31.  Unwind by Neal Shusterman (7/24-8/5)

When I initially stated this book, I wasn't sure what to expect.  I knew nothing of the author or the series this book belongs to, but it sounded like yet another dystopian society where the world has fallen apart.  While that's where the story starts, it seems to move so far beyond there that it's hard to explain. This story takes place in the future, in a time where "bad" children are unwound for parts to be used by others.  The theory is that it isn't murder because all of the parts are reused on others, and the children are alive through the entire process. It's a very disturbing idea, but the story was intriguing and interesting and I found myself wanting to know more about the characters and what happened to them, so I continued reading the story.  


32.  Unwholly by Neal Shusterman (8/5-8/12)

This book continues with the story of Unwind, picking up shortly after the last book ends. It also introduces a new set of characters that take the unwinding process to a whole new level, and make the process seem even more grizzly than I had originally thought....yet somehow I still can't manage to quit this series.  I am looking forward to reading the next book, while hoping that the world in them changes dramatically.


33.  My Drunk Kitchen by Hannah Hart (8/12-8/12)

I have been a fan of My Drunk Kitchen for many years, and think that Hannah Hart is delightfully witty and adorable.  Therefore it was a no-brainer to me that I had to pick up her book when it came out.  This compilation of silly recipes, life experiences, and Hannah's puns in a way that makes it a fun read.  It's not too deep or overly emotional, but it put a smile on my face, and made me giggle out loud.  For that, I think it's worth the short time it took to read it. 

34.  Unsouled by Neal Shusterman (8/13 - 8/19)

As if I wasn't addicted enough to the story of children destined to be unwound, this book finds the characters finally fighting back and looking for a way to change their world.  I fell in love with characters I didn't expect to care about, and tore through this book.  This book seemed like a turning point for me, and definitely expresses the tenacity of a bunch of runaway teenage delinquents. 

35.  For the Love of Death by Tami Olsen (8/19-8/21)

This is the second book that I've read by Olsen this year, and I look forward to diving into others in the future.  She paints a world filled with magic and creates characters that I desperately want to learn more about. This book serves as a prequel for another book, so I hope to be able to jump into that one soon.  Otherwise, I guess I'll be reading this one again.  Aww shucks. 

36.  Smoke Gets in Your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty (9/19 - 9/20)

Caitlin Doughty is a strange and fascinating woman, working in the world of the dead.  This book gives an interesting insight into the world of funeral directors and crematory workers, showing just how different it is from what society perceives.  I picked up this book because I love Doughty's youtube channel and figured I'd learn a thing or two about the afterlife practices in the US, and I was right.  She tells tales in a way that make it all entertaining, even when it's cringe-worthy.  Overall, she's a fantastic story-teller. I only hope to have someone as passionate about the world of the dead around when I kick the bucket.  (on that note, please don't bury my body in the ground.  I don't want to be a zombie!!)


This book was a used book store find, picked up for cheap.  We weren't sure what to expect with this one, but I think that it turned out better than I expected.  Dalby writes the story of Bacchus as a "factual" biography, telling about his life and adventures in a way that sucks you in and leaves you wanting to know more.  I wasn't super familiar with Bacchus's mythology prior to this book so I can't confirm how accurate Dalby tries to keep the stories to the originals, but I can say that they are entertaining, and that alone makes it worth the read.

38.  Forced Ascent by John Conroe (10/7 - 10/10)

It's been a while since I've had a Conroe book to read, so I was very excited for this newest installment in the series.  I've fallen in love with Chris Gordon and his bizarre group of friends and acquaintances.  He makes me want to believe in things that don't exist, and wonder how different our world would be if they did.  Vampires, werewolves, spirits, demons, witches.....the world is constantly growing and Conroe's writing continues to improve with each book.  I really do love this series and hope to see it continue for quite a while.  

39.  Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan (10/11-10/18)


This book is the last in the series of Percy Jackson and the end of an era.  I love the Percy Jackson books, the mythology and characters that are built into them.  I love seeing how mythology has been modernized and incorporated into modern society.  I think that Riordan has built a world that I want to live in and be a part of.  This story seems to end all of that.  The story of Percy comes to an end, and Riordan walks away from him forever.  Unfortunately, the ending of this book feels rushed and forced, not at all the beautiful, complete ending that I feel the series should have.  The book is quite long, but the end just seems like it comes too soon.  I know part of that is my attachment to the characters, but I can't help but feel that I'm missing out on something.  I hope to see more writing from Riordan, even if it is in the form of a new pantheon (which is in the works), and maybe we'll get some guest appearances from our favorite characters? 

40.  UnDivided by Neal Shusterman (10/19 - 10/25) 

Undivided brings about the end of another series for me.  I don't know that there is a way for me to even begin to explain this book without including too many spoilers, but essentially the teens fight back and...stuff happens?  Anyway, the story ended about where I expected it to, and I think it was good enough.  Unlike the end of the Percy Jackson series, I'm not sad to see this story line end.  I do think that Shusterman has a bright future though, so I will be watching out for more from him in the future.

41.  Grace's Guide: The Art of Pretending to Be a Grown Up by Grace Helbig (10/22)

Another one of my favorite Youtubers has decided to pretend to be an adult and write a book, and I jumped on the bandwagon and handed her money.  However, this is one bandwagon that I don't really want to jump off.  I love Grace Helbig even more after reading this book.  Her advice is comical and entertaining, displaying her quirky sense of humor to the max, while also giving you a little bit of insight into her personal life.  If you're a fan of Helbig, or if you just need something light and fun to read, I'd definitely recommend this book. 

42.  UnSweetined by Jody Sweetin (10/28)

I'm a kid that grew up watching Full House.  I watched it constantly and, even though I knew I wanted to be a DJ instead of a Stephanie, I loved the TV show (and still do!).  I still think that Uncle Jesse is a total hottie, and laugh every time Uncle Joey does something silly...and it still weirds me out to hear Danny Tanner drop the F-bomb.  This book gives you some insight on what it was like for Jody Sweetin to grow up behind the scenes of Full House, and just how far she fell after it ended.  I couldn't' help but feel bad for her, to want to give her hugs and be her friend.  Stephanie was always the annoying little sister, but I know that if she were actually my sister I would want to take care of her.  I really wish her the best, and hope that she can keep her future together, especially for her new adventures as a mom! 

43.  Chronicler of the Undead by Mainak Dhar (10/25 - 10/30)


After the last book made life seem a little too sad and discontent, I decided to return to the world of zombies and make-believe with Dhar.  I love the way he creates life after the apocalypse and this is not any different.  This book made me laugh, and cry, and I can't help but love Dhar more and more with every book he publishes.  

44.  As You Wish by Cary Elwes (11/11 - 11/12)


Random bit of information about me....I am OBSESSED with the Princess Bride.  I have watched it thousands of times and know every line, word for word.  Even at 30 years old, I have a poster from the movie hanging in my bedroom.  Yes, I know it's a problem.  So needless to say that when I found out that Cary Elwes (my sweet Wesley) was writing a behind the scenes look into the making of the movie, I had to jump right into it the instant it was available.  Now, for someone like me who is absurdly obsessed, there really isn't a lot of new information in it, but it's still fun to see things told from Elwes' perspective, and to see just how much the cast loved making this movie.  It makes it even more special to know that it is just as important to them as it is to me.  

45.  Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King (11/12 - 11/25)

It feels like it has been far too long since I have had a Stephen King novel in my hand, but this book definitely makes up for it. This book chronicles the mind of a potential serial killer, and explains just how disturbed his thought processes are.  The book is creepy, gruesome, and everything I love about Stephen King.  No matter how many tales this man weaves, I can't help but beg for more. 

46.  The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer (11/25 - 12/1)

Amanda Palmer is one of the artists that I love to follow.  Her music is interesting, her life is intriguing, and you never quite know what to expect from her, be it standing topless in the middle of the road, or canceling a tour to spend time with her friend as he fights through his battle with cancer.  This book is no different. It gives you a glimpse into the world of Palmer, her struggles and successes.  It's open and heartfelt, and shows just how beautiful she is as a person. 

47.  Black Frost by John Conroe (12/2 - 12-10)

I love John Conroe's Demon Accord series, and this book is a standalone that exists in the same world.  It shows a crack in our realm that is allowing beings from another world to enter, and interesting things begin to happen.  I love Conroe's writing style, and was once again sucked into his world.  

48.  Irkadura by Ksenia Anske (12/11-12/20)

This author was introduced to me by Amanda Palmer, after she did an interview with Anske, so I decided to jump in and try reading her books.  In addition to being a self-published author, she actually gives her books away for free from her own website, saying that if you enjoy them and want her to continue writing you'll pay what you can.  Otherwise, consider it a gift.  I've been an advocate for open source software for years, so to see this idea spreading into other areas, like music and books, in the form of crowd-funding is fascinating to me.  

This book tells the story of Irkadura, a mute girl who uses breaks from reality to deal with her exhausting roller coaster of a life.  She envisions those around her as animals, such as her mother (the Catfish) and often sees them in that form when anything bad happens.  This interesting coping skill makes the book confusing on some occasions, but fascinating nonetheless.  The story is heartbreaking on so many levels, but it also seems emotionally raw and real.  You can tell that Anske writes this book from a place very close to her heart.  I enjoyed it enough that I plan on reading more by this author in the future. 

49.  I, Neil by Mainak Dhar (12/20-12/25)

I, Neil takes us back to Dhar's Deadland and the world of Alice and Bunny Ears.  I, Neil focuses on Bunny Ears and him beginning to remember his past, while also re-learning his ability to speak.  He becomes a very influential figure in this book, and I loved watching him on his very own adventure (even though I did miss the chemistry between him and Alice on occasion).  Dhar has created a world that I am fascinated by and characters that I genuinely care about.  This is a series that I always look forward to, and never know what is going to happen next.  This book (and author) also holds a special place in my heart for another reason.  Dhar hosts a Facebook group for his fans to get inside information about the progress of the books, to give feedback and make suggestions to him, etc.  It's awesome to be able to feel like you know the author, even when he's halfway across the world.  I've been a part of this group for a very long time.  One awesome part of being this group is that he frequently writes those people into his books....so imagine my surprise when I was reading along and suddenly MY NAME was in the middle of the story.  I was so incredibly excited to see it, and while it's a little thing, it's just one more way that Dhar tries to reach out to his readers and get them more involved. 

So, as you can see I fell a bit short of my 52 books in 52 weeks goal, but overall I'm quite pleased with myself.  I could justify it by saying that I read sections of books for my other studies so often that they should count, but I didn't feel that they should be counted since I didn't read the entire thing.  Overall, I managed to consume a lot of knowledge and stories while continuing to grow as a person and I'm VERY pleased with that.  Maybe I'll try again for 2015?  Maybe that will be the year that I finally hit 52 books in 52 weeks?  I'm not holding my breath, but stranger things have happened.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment